4/4/11

Daring to Dream.

Have you ever reached a point in your life where you have stopped dreaming big dreams?

From a young age, I was always a dreamer. For most of my childhood I absolutely believed that I was going to be famous. I practiced my costume changes... daily. I had all of the “Mini-Pops” records & tapes, and the microphone and karaoke system to help me get all of the practice that I needed. I knew how to work a camera, a crowd, and I had all of the confidence in the world.

As I got older, I decided that I wanted to be a dental hygienist, and pressed on until it became a reality. I am not sure if it was stubbornness or pride (possibly both), but I was determined to let nothing stand in the way my dream.

Over the last few years, my dreams have become less and less about my destiny, and becoming all that God wants me to be... but more of anticipations for my circumstances to change.

At some point along the way I mistook finding a a new place of ministry, selling my house, getting a job, etc. as dreams, when really I was just looking for a rescue from anxieties.

The wonderful thing about God, is that he sees past all of that, and knows our deepest desires and dreams, even before we do. Although I wanted Matt to find a new place of ministry... God was preparing the right place. Although it took what seemed like forever for me to work as a dental hygienist, God was preparing a place and time where I could enjoy the career that I worked so hard for. Although I get discouraged, and would love for my house to sell RIGHT NOW, I know that God is working out all things for good, and the right time will be His time. These are all circumstances that are real and true to my life, but it is important to not let the rescue from our circumstances, become our only dream.

Over the last few weeks I have been asking myself what my dreams are... what am I hoping for... how will I get there. A year ago I could have given you a list of things that I was dreaming for. Today, I am slow to respond. I know the dreams that I have for my husband, for the students in my youth ministry, and my friends & family... but there is something missing. A dream that is more then just owning a home, being financially secure, having the next big thing, or a wardrobe to die for!

I am asking God to place his dreams for my life, in my heart! That I would know them, and be passionate about seeing them unfold in my life. That He would place dreams in my heart that I would have never otherwise allowed myself to hope for. That He would cause me to be passionate and energized in my giftings and talents. That He would use me to bring glory to His name.

Ephesians 3:20, has never been so real to me, as it has been in these last days:
“Now to Him Who, by the power that is at work within us, is able to do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think--- infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams

I am daring to ask God to:

1. Place dreams in my heart again, more then just the rescue from my circumstance.
2. Superabundantly go far over and above all of them- and use them for HIS glory.


...stay tuned!


*An infamous rendition of a Tiffany song, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! P.S. that spandex number is totally blog post worthy on its own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's definitely worth a spot on styleonthebutton... neon is making a comeback!

    ReplyDelete