2/6/13

| lessons from a dreamer: part one |

From the time I was a little I have always been a girl with big dreams. I was convinced for years that I was going to be a famous singer. I would sing in my room with hairbrush in hand, staring at myself in the mirror while belting out Bette Midler tunes. I especially favoured "The Rose".

You can't deny my stage presence... 
  Later in life I started vicariously dreaming for other people, especially my husband, and now for my son (cheese string ministry). And, even if we aren't related, I tend to put dreams into place for other people, too... not mentioning any names, ahem, Carly Morris, and your future pediatric dental practice. .

Tonight as I sat around with Matt, discussing practical plans for the future, as well as the dreams that we have for our life together, I was reminded of Joseph. The dreamer.


''Joseph, when he was seventeen years old, was shepherding the flock with his brothers; Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children because he was the son of his old age, and he made him a [distinctive] long tunic with sleeves. Now Joseph had a dream and he told it to his brothers, and they hated him still more. And he said to them, Listen now and hear, I pray you, this dream that I have dreamed: We [brothers] were binding sheaves in the field, and behold, my sheaf arose and stood upright, and behold, your sheaves stood round about my sheaf and bowed down! His brothers said to him, Shall you indeed reign over us? Or are you going to have us as your subjects and dominate us? And they hated him all the more for his dreams and for what he said. But Joseph dreamed yet another dream and told it to his brothers'' Genesis 37 
I love this story because it encourages me when I think that my own dreams are merely creative brain waves. It reminds me:

Age is not an issue. Unfortunately, we have a tendancy to in our society to believe that "life really begins" when we get older. And, for most people, we are always waiting for the next stage to persue what is on our hearts. I love that the Bible points out that Joesph was 17 years old, faithfully working where he was planted. When you have a dream, age is not an issue, whether old or young. 

Haters are gonna hate. Whenever you have a dream, and share it with people, the chances are you're going to have some haters. Meaning, when it's not their dream, and they aren't in the process of dreaming their OWN dream, you can count on some jealousy probs. Dreams aren't about size or significance. Your dream and call may be fulfilling the longings of your heart, and when you compare it with someone else's you can be convinced that it is insignificant. If you aren't yet dreaming dreams, don't be a hater for those that are. And if you are living your dream right now, don't compare it to anyone else's. Yours is "big" enough, and it's good enough.

Keep on dreaming: Joseph's brothers hated him "all the more" after he shared his dream with them, but he "dreamed yet another dream and told it to his brothers." Don't let the thoughts and opinions of others stop you from dreaming. Don't let what one person says to you, or about you, stop you. I have a tendency to let the actions or words that people say to me completely change my outlook on a situation, or dream that I have in motion. Don't shut down just because you have some opposition. Sometimes your opposition is just pushing you into the next level of your dream. 

I probably won't ever be centre stage singing "The Rose" to a stadium of people. And to be honest, I'm happy about that. But there are plenty of new dreams that I am dreaming for myself, my family, and maybe even you... Creepy? I'm looking at YOU, Carly Morris.

Your dreams are worthy. 
Your age is not an issue. 
Dream another dream. 

What you may perceive to be a small dream could end up being a part of a greater story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment